.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rustic

I love the word rustic. Like any word it may be loved by some and hated by others, it may create positive images for some and negative for others. Some may hear about a rustic house or a rustic piece of furniture and they immediately picture something that is dirty and covered with cobwebs. But for me it creates not only a different image but also a different feeling. I hear the word rustic and I think of a physically beautiful place or item, a natural look and feeling, and perhaps just a simple appearance. Many times when you visit a location that is viewed as rustic it brings on a sense of relaxation. Nature is sometimes a little more "dirty" but don't we need to reconnect with that as much as possible? Isn't that what will help us to take better care of ourselves and our planet? I know many do feel that more separation from the outdoors and nature is the best way to live, but I disagree. Maybe it's OK to have a house that lets a little bit of air through, or a car that doesn't block out all outside noise and smell. I feel that we should be more connected to our surroundings and that it's good to slow your pace sometimes and see what's going on around you. When I think of the word rustic I think of all of these things, all of the positive connections with nature and the areas of our country and our planet that are just beautiful. I think of getting back, even just for a moment, to a time before technology and fast paced living.
If you haven't, give rustic a chance. Take a vacation to a cabin in the woods or an old lodge in the mountains and be conscious of how you feel while there. If you love it then maybe bringing that type of lifestyle into your everyday life would be a healthy thing. Create a place where you can relax, slow down and be aware of your surroundings and your connection with nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment