.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

In The Workshop



Another custom order that I recently completed is a large armoire. It was made out of rough cut, ship lap Pine. I got the wood from a local mill. Of course this wood had warps and twists that added to the challenge of building. The inside is a smoother side of the wood that I attached with copper head nails. I left the inside natural so that it would be a bit brighter for finding clothes. The top was attached with steel cut nails for an older look. In this case I tried to make it look more like old barn wood, so I stained it. It took a couple of tries to find the stain that looked the best, but in the end I think it does have a nice old barn wood look to it. I used black iron strap hinges on the doors, also to give it a more authentic look. The doors are made from wider (15") Pine, one board for each door. One cool rustic feature on this cabinet was using a natural burl for the door handles. The whole piece was finished with a couple coats of a natural poly whey. I was very pleased with how it came out, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment