.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Friends

I was reminded today of just how fast time seems to go by and how important friendship is. It can be easy to get caught up in work and news and things that can be unhealthy. You have to make yourself get out and enjoy life and do the things you love to do.
This morning I pulled into work, luckily a little early, and there was a delivery van in front of the store. I raced in to catch the van before it left. When I pulled up I saw a familiar face get out of the drivers seat. It was my old friend Todd who I haven't seen in probably ten years. I have through the years kept up to some degree with what he has been up to, through his brother and others. But it made me realize that that isn't good enough, I should make more of an effort with friends and not just tell someone else to tell them that I say hello. Anyway, it really made my day to catch up with someone I hadn't seen in a long time. He is one of those people that this is how it goes. I'm sure you have someone like this, that you don't see for a decade and then you run into them and it is like only a year has passed. I once picked up Todd hitch hiking in an area out west that I had never driven before. I thought the person looked familiar and turned around and it was him, someone I knew from 2,500 miles east in Massachusetts. It happened again when we wound up playing hacky sack at a concert in Vermont. It is people and occasions like that that make life interesting and special.
Friends and family really are what matter most. You can't remind yourself of that too much. When things seem annoying or work is a total pain, think of some of the people in your life that are important to you, and give them a call or send an email, it might just cheer you right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment